Welcome to our new endorsement application page!
We're currently in the process of redesigning our website, and streamlining our endorsement application process.
We are a member-driven organization with 1 million members around the country, working closely with campaigns up and down the ballot in all 50 states to send progressive Democrats to office. Since we were founded by former DNC Chairman and Governor Howard Dean in 2004, we’ve helped elect 836 progressive champions. We are looking for elected officials with the courage of their convictions -- folks who will work tirelessly to build an economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthiest few.
There’s no one metric to hit or policy checkbox; instead our endorsement is determined based on the answers to these questions:
- Will the candidate move the progressive movement forward in their community?
- What do local members want to see their elected leaders stand up for, and does the candidate have substantial support from our local members?
- Do the candidate's positions and policies build the broader progressive movement, especially in the fight against income inequality, for racial and economic justice?
- Is the campaign building a strong people-powered operation and is the candidate working to win?
An endorsement from us can mean a host of different things, depending on the race, the political moment, and what DFA members care about most. The best way to explain what a DFA endorsement means is to highlight some ways we have partnered with endorsed campaigns.
- Strategic Support - we work closely with campaign teams to build a rigorous campaign of field organizing, fundraising, earned and paid media, political power-mapping, and operational strategy.
- Trainings - we run cutting-edge trainings for endorsed campaigns with grassroots leaders in their region - using Action Summits, our online Night School for core campaign skills, and advanced skills sessions with candidates and staff.
- Grassroots Fundraising - since 2004, Democracy for America has built one of the most responsive, powerful and innovative small-donor programs in the country - raising nearly $40 million in support of progressive candidates.
- Field Organizing Power - at DFA we are experts at building the field strength it takes to win, including recruiting our members to volunteer with the campaign, sending skilled staffers to embed on races, and our massive DFA Dialer program for voter persuasion and GOTV.
If you have questions, or want to let us know about a candidate in your neighborhood, please call us at (802) 651-3200 or email us at [email protected]